Thanks to @Grahamandre for pointing out this fantastic video from Coldplay. Check out Grahams awesome website www.mathematicshed.com which is a collection of maths videos with ideas on how to use them in your class.
It may seem like a strange video of choice at first. I think it is more of a thinking video and not one where I would normally stop and get the children to think of feelings of the characters etc. I would probably allow the children to watch this all the way through and then choose from one of the following...
- How did he become the best magician in the end? (Focused, determined, persevered, resilience etc)
- Write a biography of the main character (Chris Martin) - Write about 3 events from the video and be creative with the rest
- What is life like working for a travelling circus? (Would require a lot of creative thinking and discussion with the children)
- If you had magic powers how would you use them?
- What happened to the bad magician after he floats away? Complete the story with your ending that shows what happened to him.
- Research famous magicians e.g. David Copperfield, Penn and Teller, Dynamo - Do their biographies maybe.
As well as all these you could also retell the story in stages. It has scope for developing lots of feelings work as the different characters. Contrasting the anger and sadness of the bad magiciain with the hope and curiosity of the new magician.
Then of course you could learn this trick and show your kids how amazing you are at magic!
I'm a deputy head in Scarborough, England and love using media and tech to develop writing. I'm also a keen advocate of Learning Without Limits and believe in a games based approach to developing mathematicians.